Obtaining Status for Immigrant Victims of Crime

Obtaining Status for Immigrant Victims of Crime

The U-Visa

If you know someone who is out of status here in the United States and has been the victim of a crime, he or she may be eligible for a U Visa. U visas are available to foreign nationals or aliens who are in the United States and entered without inspection ("EWI") or have overstayed an original visa grant.

Qualifying Criminal Activity for U visas are listed in 8 C.F.R. Sec. 214.14. U visas petitions require the filing of form I-918 and a certification by the respective police department, amongst other requirements. A U visa also entitles the individual to a workers' permit, and the possibility of adjusting to a U.S. permanent resident. If an individual or alien is in removal proceedings they may obtain temporary or permanent relief through the grant of a U visa. U visas are complex and require representation by an experienced U.S. Immigration lawyer.

Contact The Law Office of Hugh A. Hudson.
For further information, call us at (919) 251-8876 or send us an email. We are here to help.